El Metro’s public transportation service free-fare period will come to an end July 30, as the company announces it will resume fare collection on all services July 31. Earlier in the coronavirus pandemic, many transit agencies stopped collecting fares to reduce interactions between passengers and drivers. Now, El Metro will face a delicate task to safely reintroduce fares to the community. Bus Operators and Passengers are urged to adhere to all City of Laredo Emergency Orders and Health Authority recommendations to stop the stop of the novel virus.
In resuming regular fares, El Metro Transit will ask passengers:
- To board buses using the front doors and swiftly proceed to pay the fare.
- Face covering is required while aboard any transit vehicle and at all boarding areas and bus stops.
- Bus cleaning and disinfection procedures remain a top priority.
- Skip-a-seat signage is still present on El Metro Vehicles to provide social distancing and to allow a safe ride for all passengers.
- Limited capacity still in effect. Maximum load of 18 passengers per bus and 4 passenger’s per El Lift vans supports social distance recommendations.
- Buses and Vans continue to allow air circulation and ventilation by running with at least one lateral window open on each side of the bus as well as both top emergency latches.
Stay informed on Mayoral Orders updates or regarding COVID-19 by going to www.CityofLaredo.com. For any questions, please call the City of Laredo Coronavirus hotline at (956) 795-4954.